Wednesday, August 7, 2013

The Martyrdom of Stephen


Two things:
#1: Forgiveness
Stephen's last words were: "Lord, lay not this sin to their charge." You can tell he was really converted to Christ's higher law of forgiveness. He makes it look so easy. It doesn't matter what people do to you - let go and forgive. Leave the rest of the judging up to the Savior. This seems to be a common theme in the New Testament. But... it's so haaaaaaaard, right? At the same time, it's so much easier. No grudges, no fuming, no anger...just let it go. If I really do this, I know I'll be a happier person.


#2: The Godhead:
Stephen was "filled with the Holy Ghost", looked up to heaven, and saw Jesus Christ standing on the right hand of God. I love knowing that I can have the constant companionship of the Holy Ghost, Jesus Christ as my elder brother, and a Heavenly Father as three different beings. I can have a special relationship with each of them separately, yet they are united in purpose. 


On the other side of the world about 200 years earlier...
{Mosiah 17: 7-20}

I remember learning about Abinadi the prophet for the first time as a little girl. I remember feeling completely shocked that he wasn't protected like Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego. It was a good lesson for me - sometimes we think we know what would be best, and it isn't exactly what the Lord has in mind. I think we hope and pray for miracles, and when they don't come, it just stinks. But then we learn from the rest of the story that good things do come from hard times. We just need to take the time to figure out what we've learned. 

No comments:

Post a Comment