Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Solutions in the Scriptures to Life's Challenges

Problem: Arguments and complaints over petty matters in church meetings or throughout the week.
Paul's Solution: Give comfort and love, have compassion, and try to understand the other person. Be unified. Don't think you are better than others.
Scripture: Philippians 2:1-8, 14-15:

 1 If there be therefore any consolation in Christ, if any comfort of love, if any fellowship of the Spirit, if any bowels and mercies,

 2 Fulfil ye my joy, that ye be likeminded, having the same love,being of one accord, of one mind.

 3 Let nothing be done through strife or vainglory; but in lowliness of mind let each esteem other better than themselves.

 4 Look not every man on his own things, but every man also on the things of others.

 5 Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus:

 6 Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to equal with God:

 7 But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men:

 14 Do all things without murmurings and disputings:

 15 That ye may be blameless and harmless, the sons of God, without rebuke, in the midst of a crooked and perverse nation, among whom ye shine as lights in the world;


Problem: Relying on your parent's testimony; their's is good enough.
Paul's Solution: Our testimony requires consistent work. We cannot just say we believe or else when hard times come heading or way, we won't be strong enough on our own.
Scripture: Philippians 2: 12

 12 Wherefore, my beloved, as ye have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling.

"A man may say he believes, but if he does nothing to make that belief or faith a moving power to do, to accomplish, to produce soul growth, his professing will avail him nothing...It is to perform daily, hourly momentarily, if necessary the immediate task or duty at hand." (David O. McKay in CR, April 1957)

Problem: An investigator is considering joining the church, but the family will no longer associate with them him if he does.
Paul's Solution: I can do all things in Christ which strengthens me. 
Scripture: Philippians 3 and 4

3: 7 But what things were gain to me, those I counted loss for Christ.

 8 Yea doubtless, and I count all things but loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord: for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and do count them but dung, that I may win Christ,

 9 And be found in him, not having mine own righteousness, which is of the law, but that which is through the faith of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith:

 10 That I may know him, and the power of his resurrection, and the fellowship of his sufferings, being made conformable unto his death;

 11 If by any means I might attain unto the resurrection of the dead.

 12 Not as though I had already attained, either were already perfect: but I follow after, if that I may apprehend that for which also I am apprehended of Christ Jesus.

 13 Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before,

 14 I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.

 15 Let us therefore, as many as be perfect, be thus minded: and if in any thing ye be otherwise minded, God shall reveal even this unto you.

 16 Nevertheless, whereto we have already attained, let us walk by the same rule, let us mind the same thing.


4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.


Summary:
2 Nephi 32:3
 Angels speak by the power of the Holy Ghost; wherefore, they speak the words of Christ. Wherefore, I said unto you, feast upon the words of Christ; for behold, the words of Christ will tell you all things what ye should do.

When we have challenges, we can turn to the scriptures and the Holy Ghost will tell us what Christ would have us do. The scriptures apply to us today!

No comments:

Post a Comment